Wednesday, September 23, 2009

upholstered headboard

this upholstered headboard is similar to something you can find at pottery barn. the pottery barn price tag is $500,
this diy version was $60!

what you need:
-1 piece of wood-not too heavy or thick, cut to size
(my piece was 36"x60" for a queen size bed)
- a piece of foam (I used a twin size mattress pad, cut to size)
- 1 piece of batting (large enough to wrap around wood and foam)
- fabric of your choice (I used a tan linen)
- buttons to cover (I used 11 that were 1 1/8")
- two 2x4's to use as stilts
(length depends on how high off the ground you want your headboard)
-spray adhesive- to adhere foam to wood
-staple gun- to secure batting and fabric
-drill- to drill holes in wood as a template for the buttons
- screws or nails- to secure stilts to headboard

I found a coordinating bed skirt at the pb outlet for $20
(and it obviously needs an ironing).

12 comments:

  1. I love the look of upholstered headboards! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thats gorgeous! too bad I just made one out of a door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely do a tutorial! I am curious about doing the buttons. : )
    Nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I popped over from Kimba's DIY. I have been seeing this upholstered headboards all over blogland and I love yours. Very nice. Would love a tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I would love to see the tutorial. Where did you find your bedside lights? I would like to find something similar in oil rubbed bronze.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic! Love upholstered headboards!

    Aja

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a great job. What a savings, and it looks so professional! Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this your bedroom?? If so, I'm completely jealous!
    I'm loving this blog! I'm going to follow you, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next! :o)

    ReplyDelete